Monday 5 October 2015

Rosy Rec's The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

'The Night Circus' is a standalone novel that has been a favourite of mine ever since I first read it back in September 2011. It has remained a steadfast favourite against hundreds of other books, one I return to again and again and always find myself disappearing into the magic, the stunning prose, the heart break and love that suffuse this story. It is one of my most gifted books, everyone I know has had a copy bought for them, and everyone who has read it has loved it. It is a book that has something for everyone, a truly magical thing.

What’s it About?
Magic, love, a circus that only opens at night.
This is a story about many things but at its most basic level it is a love story. A story about magic. About a game where Celia and Marco are the players pitted against each other without any choice in the matter – a game where they play with magic on the ever changing board of the circus. It spans countries and continents, years and a vast cast of characters. It is a love letter written in the tents of the circus, filled with stories and secrets and breath-taking magic.

Why I Love It:
It’s a beautiful sprawling tale filled with exquisite prose and a depth of imagination that left me speechless. Spanning years with a colourful cast of fascinating characters, this is magic at its finest. Set against the backdrop of the monochrome circus filled with wonder and magic, it weaves a slow yet beautiful narrative that takes its time easing you into the magic, love and heartbreak that make up this story.
Some people may find the slow pace and descriptive passages frustrating, but if the magic gets you this will be a permanent favourite. I fall in love with the writing every time I read this book. I fall in love with the characters and the little glimpses of the circus we see. I fall in love with the magic that slides so seamlessly into the story, weaving into everything until it is as vital as breathing. It is a beautiful book, one I come back to again and again, filled with poignant and stunningly lyrical prose.

“I have been surrounded by love letters you two have built each other for years, encased in tents.” 

Who Should Read It?
Everyone. It is possibly not the most attractive writing style for younger readers, but the content is suitable for all ages. All you really need is a love of magic and beautiful prose and this one is a must read.

Read This If You Liked:
The Magician’s Lie by Greer Macallister
The Book of Speculation by Erika Swyler
A Curious Beginning by Deanna Raybourn


6 comments:

  1. Oh wow, last weeks Top Ten Tuesday was if you liked this then read this...
    I posted that if you liked Night Circus, then try A Curious Beginning. It was the first Deanna Raybourne book that Ive ever read and I loved it.
    Glad to see someone else thinks the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo! Great minds think alike! It really is a fantastic book. Have you read any of her others?

      Delete
    2. Hoping to get to Silent in the Grave soon. She came to a trade show in my city last month, but only book sellers were allowed to go :( I loved Veronica, such a cool character for that time period. I'm not sure how realistic she is considering Victorian England, but she's definitely fun to read about.

      Delete
    3. If you liked Veronica then you'll love Julia. She's very different to her but also has a lot of similar qualities. I read Julia first and fell head over heels, she is one of my all time favourite fictional ladies. I really hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. Eeek, I've been meaning to read this book for a while now (every book lover's favourite saying?! haha) Your post has definitely made me want to read it sooner. It sounds like a perfect read for the coming months, too! :-D thank you for giving me the extra push to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! Do it do it do it do it do it do it. I love this book - can you tell?! :D Such a good book, so beautiful. It is my go to READ THIS BOOK NOW whenever I'm asked for a rec. I really hope you enjoy it!

      Delete